Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Cookies

When I was a kid, we always spent the afternoon of Christmas eve making Christmas cookies and decorating them for Santa to eat that night.  It's one of my favorite memories and I wanted to recreate it for my daughter.  She's a little young to really get into the cooking, but I figured she'd have fun decorating some cookies.  

Several of my friends had complained about their cookies not holding their shape very well in the oven, so I when I came across these chocolate cookies on Pinterest that said that they held their shape very well, I decided to try them out.  I also tried the regular sugar cookies from the same website.  

The cookies took ALL DAY.  Instead of doing one whole batch of each, I just did half of a batch, but it took such a long time because you have to make the dough, then refrigerate.  Then roll the dough, then refrigerate.  Then cut the dough and then freeze.  And, unfortunately I could only only clear out shelf out of my freezer and fridge so I could really only do 1 tray at a time which really slowed things down.  Besides the time that the project consumed, the cookies turned out great.  The chocolate ones are really rich and tasty and the sugar cookies were very yummy, although they reminded me more of a light shortbread than the sugar cookies I've had before.




My daughter didn't quite get the concept of leaving them for Santa so at the point this picture was taken, she'd already eaten 2 of the 3 that she had decorated herself.  Santa enjoyed the rest, and left her plenty of presents, so I guess he didn't mind that she'd eaten some of his cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment