Sunday, July 29, 2012

Camera Lens Puppet

Since we had our daughter, my husband has gotten really into photography.  It's tough to photograph a 1 year old, so when I saw a picture of a camera puppet on Pinterest, I figured it would be a perfect.  I attempted to do Elmo.  I figured at some point, my daughter will know who he is.  

I got some sturdy white felt for the eyes, regular orange felt for the nose, and black buttons for the eyes.  (I think my black buttons were a little too large though.)

The next item to hunt down was a red scrunchie.  I looked at drug stores, grocery stores, Target, pretty much everywhere I could think of (except Claire's Boutique at the mall).  I guess red scrunchies (or any scrunchies actually) are not in style right now.  That means conquering my fear of my sewing machine that I had totally forgotten how to use.  

I happened to be at a store that was right next to Michael's so I went in there for supplies.  They don't have fabric, but they did have a few cheap bandanas on one of the aisles so I figured that would do.  Next time, I'll go to Joann's and get some thicker more sturdy fabric.

I cut a piece of fabric that was 1/4 of the bandana by a whole bandana.  (I'm guessing the bandana was 2ft x 2ft.)

I took a sturdy hair rubber band and pinned the fabric around it to look like a scrunchie and sewed very slowly with my sewing machine and then sewed the two ends together.  I put that part behind the eyes and nose since it's pretty ugly. 
 

As you can see, I did not make the scrunchie part gracefully, nor does it look very nice, but it's functional.  That's about all I can say about it.  And I now remember how to thread my sewing machine.
 
I then used my glue gun to attach the nose and eyes to the scrunchie.   

The biggest issue is that with the scrunchie made of such flimsy material, the buttons and eyes flop back pretty easily, but I think using thicker material for the scrunchie part would help.  

It sort of looks like Elmo although his nose should be rounder, and his eyes should be a little bigger.  

I think next time I'll try Cookie Monster :)

No comments:

Post a Comment