Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quiet Book- Clock - Page 16

Since I wasn't really sure about the sewing, and Wonder Under paper, I figured I'd start with an easy page first.  That meant skipping to the end of the book and doing the last page first which is a clock.  



Since my background is already white, and I wanted this to this a really easy page, I picked the color turquoise for the clock. 

I ended up tracing a pot onto the Wonder Under because it was the right size circle for my page.  I cut out the Wonder Under circle and ironed it onto my turquoise felt for about 5-10 seconds to get it to stick.  Using the already cut wonder under as a guideline, I cut my felt clock out.  Then I pealed the paper off of the Wonder Under and placed it onto my Pellon page.  Placing a damp cloth over it, I ironed slowly on high for about 15 seconds each time I moved the iron.  The key is to have it hot enough and iron long enough for your damp cloth to dry.  This fuses the felt to the Pellon.  

The next step was to sew around edge of the clock.  I got out my sewing machine and prayed that the settings were right so I wouldn't have to change anything.  I used white arts and crafts thread (it's a little thicker than normal thread) in hopes that it will hold better.   I'm still working on being able to sew in a straight line (or a circle in this case), so my stitching isn't always the same distance from the outside, but it'll do.  Hopefully I'll get better as this project continues. 

The last time I went to Michaels, I found a package of peel and stick white felt letters and numbers that I figured would make my life a lot easier, so I stuck the numbers around the clock  (I also found some hearts, lady bugs, flowers, and butterflies so I will be able to dress some of the more plain pages up.)

Next, I cut out some hands for the clock making sure that they weren't so long that they would reach and overlap the numbers.  I snipped tiny holes in the clock hands and in the center of the clock and put a brad through.

Of course I had to add a couple of the hearts that I found at Michaels just to finish it off.  

I'm pretty pleased with my first page.  I just hope that my sewing machine skills get better.   


No comments:

Post a Comment