Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quiet Book - Counting - Pages 10 & 11

The counting pages

All out of 2s, need to go back to the store...
Shopping - I picked out some ribbon that was thick enough for my felt numbers to fit on and matched the beads that I found on sale.  I also bought some thick string that looked like it could be sewn to attach it to the top and bottom.  This is the string I used - it actually worked quite well.



I cut 4 pieces of ribbon that were about 7 inches long. 

I also cut some Wonder Under to the same size as the ribbons and ironed the rough side onto the ribbons.  

Then I cut some string that was longer than I would need and pinned it to the bottoms of the pages.  You can probably see that I experimented with measurements.  On my sheet, the first string is at 1 3/4 inch, and then I spaced them out about 1 1/2 inch apart.  



Then I attached the string with my sewing machine.  First, I did a quick sew across the string so I could take out the pin.  Then I flattened the string and sewed about half an inch in forward and reverse so it would hold really well.  Luckily I didn't need it to look really nice since it will be covered by the ribbon.  






Next, I took the paper backing off of Wonder Under of one of the ribbons and (using the damp cloth) ironed the ribbon over the ends of the strings.  Once that was dry, I sewed the sides of the ribbon.  Next time I'll get plain ribbon that doesn't already have a decorative top and bottom so that I can sew around the entire ribbon.



Then I added the beads and pinned the string at the top.  I kept having to repin them because they seemed to get too tight and bent the Pellon.  When I sewed them in, they got even tighter, so I had to sit these pages under books to try to get them to flatten back out.  If you try this, make sure you that your string isn't stretched too tight.  



I cut off the extra string, then repeated the whole process of attaching the ribbon, added the numbers and a couple of butterflies for decoration.  Unfortunately these butterflies didn't stick as well as the hearts and numbers.  They'll come off the second my daughter sees them.  She loves her "buh buhs".    

No comments:

Post a Comment