Friday, August 17, 2012

Quiet Book - Brush the Dog's Teeth - Page 12



 The original idea for this page on Pinterest was of a monkey whose teeth you could brush.  My daughter just isn't that into monkeys, but she does love dogs.  I figured I should include at least one in my quiet book, so monkey became dog.  It's not really a great dog, but my daughter recognizes it as a dog and that's what matters most, right?

I used purple, white, black, beige, tan, brown, light pink, and dark pink felts, wonder under, matching thread, my Pellon page, and one set of fusible velcro.  

The first thing I did was make the toothbrush.  I cut 2 matching long pieces of Wonder Under, ironed them to purple felt and cut them out.  Then I cut one rectangular piece of Wonder Under, ironed it to white felt, cut it out, and fused it onto the white felt again creating a thicker double layer for the bristles.  I then sandwiched the white felt piece between the two purple pieces and fused them together so the white bristles were held in place. Fused a piece of velcro on the back and sewed around the edges.  Easy peasy.  

The dog was much more complicated.  

I started by cutting a head shape out of the Wonder Under.  I ironed only the top half of the Wonder Under to the beige felt, and cut out an entire head of beige using the Wonder Under to guide me for the bottom half.  

Then I stuck the tan felt between the Wonder Under and beige felt and ironed it to the bottom half of the Wonder Under head. 







 Then, I cut the tan felt.  The tan will be the bottom part of the mouth, while the beige will be the top part of the mouth and head. 



With the Wonder Under, I cut a tongue, ironed it to the bright pink felt and cut it out.


Then I cut out of the Wonder Under, the light pink inside of the mouth.


I took the paper off of the light pink piece and fused it to the open mouth piece.  

Now this is the tedious part - I cut out 19 tooth pieces from the Wonder Under, ironed it to the white felt, then fused them into the mouth.  10 on top, 9 on the bottom leaving a gap for the tongue.  

 Then I cut out an ear piece of the Wonder Under, mirrored it for the other ear, ironed them to the brown felt and fused them onto my Pellon page.



Last was the fun part of actually making it look more like a dog.  I fused the dog's head onto the page along with the tongue.  I used Wonder Under to cut out and fuse the tan pieces for the eyes, the black eyes, and the nose.  Then I sewed the edges in matching thread.  I didn't bother with sewing the eyes, nose, or teeth.  Last, but not least, I added the other piece of velcro to the top to hold the toothbrush when it's not in use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment