Sunday, August 26, 2012

Jersey Knit Bracelets

I came across a link to this site on Pinterest and thought the bracelets were soooo cute and they have a great tutorial, so I decided to give it a try.  

I had a bright pink T-shirt that I had put in my arts and crafts bin so I cut a piece that was about 1 inch by 4 ft around the bottom.  (Actually, I cut 3 because that's what the directions said to do.) 

I couldn't really understand what their directions were telling me to do when they started talking about cutting the holes and tying the knot, so I experimented and I think I figured out what they were talking about.  The goal is to connect two of the pieces of fabric together, so you cut the 2 holes (one in one piece of string, and one in another), line them up, and then put the end of one through the others so that they are attached to each other.  Pretty much what they say to do, but not understanding what the end goal was, I got a bit confused.  Mine didn't form a knot, so I'm still not positive that I did what they wanted...










 










I attempted to do a 3 finger one and it was WAY to thick so I immediately took it out and did a 2 finger bracelet.  After completing that, I decided that it was still too thick on my wrist, so I attempted to figure out a single finger bracelet.  It worked really well, and isn't too thick for me.  And bonus - I only need one 4 foot strip to make one that fits around my wrist, so no need to connect them together.   

Here's how I did the 1 finger bracelet:

I wrapped the piece of T-shirt around my index finger 3 times (the bottom one was just to hold with my thumb for the first couple of stitches).  




















Then I took the middle one and looped it over my finger.



Then I wrapped the loose end around my finger again, and repeated looping the middle loop over my finger.

Once I had done this a few times, I could let go of that bottom stitch with my thumb so there were only 2 loops on my finger.  I repeated the process taking the bottom loop over the top loop and my finger, then wrapping the loose end around my finger until the bracelet was big enough to go around my wrist.




















Then I took the bracelet off of my index finger, and put the end of the other side of the bracelet through and pulled it tight.






















To finish it, tie a knot with the two ends together and cut the extra length off.  



The whole bracelet takes about 5 minutes to make once you have the fabric cut.  It's super easy to do and makes great (and cheap) little presents for friends or little girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment