Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quiet Book - Ladybug - Page 8

I found the idea for this cute little ladybug on http://jocelynandjason.blogspot.com.  The dots on the ladybug are snaps so you can take them off and then put them into the zippered compartment. 

For this project I needed a page and a half of black felt, a page of red felt, a zipper and 8 snaps of size 2/0 (as well as my 8x10 Pellon page and some Wonder Under)

The first thing I did was draw a ladybugish shape on my Wonder Under, cut it out, iron it to the black felt and cut that out. 

Then I taped the red felt to the wonder under side so that I could cut to match the ladybug. I did this for both of the red wings.  


Then I peeled off the paper part of the Wonder Under and Ironed (with my damp cloth) to attach the black ladybug to my Pellon page.  


Next, I cut out 16 black circles by tracing one of my spools of thread.   


This was my first attempt at sewing a zipper.  Doing it on a project like this made it a lot less intimidating.  It seemed to go pretty well.  Then I marked where I wanted my ladybug's dots and hand sewed the snaps on.     












The next step was to sew the winged part onto the black ladybug.  This was actually a bit more of a challenge than I expected.  A page of Pellon and 2 layers of felt caused my sewing machine to have some problems.  Probably has something to do with a setting I had it on or the foot I was using or something.  Sure wish I could remember everything they went over in our classes.   The other problem was that the felt stretches as you sew it so even if it looks like it's going to line up perfectly, by the end it's a little off.  Then I added some antennae and some little stick on ladybugs.  These seem to hold a lot better than the butterflies I worked with yesterday. 
 
 
Next step was to work on the dots.  After sewing 8 snaps on the ladybug wings, I was not super excited to sew anymore snaps.  It's a tedious job, but these seemed to go a little faster.  Perhaps it's because I was cooking dinner at the same time (cauliflower crust pizza - yum!) so I had lots of little breaks between snaps.

After sewing on snaps on 8 of the dots, you'll have 8 dots left over.  For those dots, I ironed on some Wonder Under. 

After cutting them out and peeling off the paper, I put them back to back with the dots that had the snaps.  Make sure you don't cover up the snap partI actually did make that mistake on one of them.  Oops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment