Friday, August 24, 2012

Quiet Book - Farm - Pages 2 & 3


 










 






The farming pages took quite a bit of effort to make.  For supplies, I used my 2 Pellon pages, stiff green felt, stiff red felt, and an assortment of colors of regular felt, as well as some Wonder Under, 2 pieces of fusible Velcro, and some little felt flower stickers.n

I started out with the flower field that you can use as a background for the finger puppets.   I cut a hill out of Wonder Under, ironed it to some dark green stiff felt and fused it to the Pellon page.  Using the Wonder Under, I fused a yellow sun in the corner, stuck some flowers onto the hill, and sewed around the top part of the hill. 

Once I was done with I cut some Wonder Under to be the ground behind the barn.  I tried to continue the hill down, but I forgot that I had to do the mirror image of what I want so I ended up having to reverse the pages from what I had in my head.  It totally worked out fine though.  I ironed the Wonder Under to the stiff green felt and fused it to my Pellon page.  

 

Then I used my barn template that I found here to cut a tan rectangular piece that was almost as wide as the barn and about half as high as the doors and sewed around the left, right, and bottom sides to create the pocket to hold the finger puppets. 


Using the template, I traced and cut the barn out of the Wonder Under.  The I cut out the doors and the upper window and ironed it onto a piece of stiff red felt. 


After removing the upper window, I used that as a guide to cut out a piece of Wonder Under, ironed it to a piece of tan felt and fused it onto the page (using my barn to make sure that it went in the right spot on the page). 


Next I cut up the middle for the doors and used the Wonder Under as a guide to show me where the top of the doors were so that the doors now open. 



Then I fused the barn onto my page making sure to line up the upper window and covering the tan pouch. 


To finish off the barn, I used my template and Wonder Under to cut out the white trim and fuse it to the barn, then I sewed around the edges. 



After the barn was complete, it was time to work on the finger puppets.  I used the template above to cut out the different pieces of the cow, chicken, and pig, then I used some of the same pieces to make the duck and horse.  

I ended up cutting small pieces of Wonder Under for the very tops just to help me keep them in place for when I sewed them together.  I couldn't hold ears, horns, and the fronts and backs of the finger puppets in place and it was just getting too difficult using pins.  This is what the beginning of the cow looked like:


Once I had fused the tops together,  I sewed around the finger puppet, fused on any other pieces and used a pen to make the eyes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment