Saturday, August 11, 2012

Quiet Book - Sea Puzzle - Pages 14 & 15











In my quiet book research, I found tons of "puzzles" where you match colors or shapes.  Since my girl is super into fish and turtles right now, I decided to do an ocean scene.  

I used lots of different colored felt, Wonder Under, my 2 Pellon pages, and fusible velcro.  I found some good patterns of sea animals here.  

The first thing I did was use the Wonder Under to fuse the turquoise ocean water to the pages.  

Then, I started off working with the whale because it was the simplest of all of the shapes.  I traced the whale twice on the Wonder Under, once one direction, and then one the mirror image.  

I picked which direction I wanted it to go on the page and fused it on.  Then I fused a piece of velcro onto it. 


For the whale puzzle piece, I took my other whale piece and fused it to more light blue felt and cut that out.  Then I put the other piece of fusible velcro on the bottom side of the whale and added an eye with a sharpy. 












Since it worked out pretty well, I did much the same thing with all of my other sea life.  

On my Wonder Under, I traced one forward and one reverse of the pattern for all of the animals.  For the fish that had multiple parts, I actually traced each part individually once going the opposite of the direction I wanted it on the puzzle, then cut out the pieces and taped them together and traced one forwards and one backwards.  For the turtle, I did the same as the whale, but then I also traced an extra shell. 

Then I cut out all of the Wonder Under pieces and ironed them onto the appropriate colored felts.  Cutting some of these shapes is super tedious! 

Then I cut out all of my felt shapes. Again - tedious!

I fused one version of each onto the background and then fused velcro onto those pieces.  I used the hook part of the vecro on the bottom so that the separated fish wouldn't get stuck to everything.  

For the Octopus, I did the same thing as the whale - fuse the leftover octopus to more grey felt and cut that out, fuse on a piece of velcro.

The turtle was also very similar - fuse the leftover turtle onto another piece of green felt and cut it out.  Then I fused on the shell on top and the velcro on the bottom.

The fish were a bit more of a challenge.  I took the whole fish and took the paper off of just the top fin.  Then I pulled the paper off of my yellow top fin and fused them together.  It's probably a no no to have 2 layers of Wonder Under together, but it worked fine for me.  I kept going until I had fused each piece onto the whole fish, doing the body last.  

Then I sewed all of the pieces (pretty terribly) with matching thread if I had it to finish them off.  I only sewed the top part of the water background because the sides will get sewn when I put the pages together. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment